September 26, 2010

My new project

My dad has been going through a cleaning out phase (much needed) and has stumbled across a great find he had forgotten about.


Cool, right? They are Post Office box doors from 1961! I am smitten and we (my family and myself) want to do something really creative with them.

Let's hear it, friends! What should happen to these beauties? We have 9 in total: 6 large ones (approx. 6in by 4in) and 3 small ones (approx. 4in by 2in). Each have unique numbers but all look the same.

Ideas thus far:
1) Bank. We already have one and can purchase the pre-sized boxes online and attach with the screws we have.
2) A wall mount showing one of each size with the city of origin (Golconda) burned above them into the wood.
3) Some sort of table with the doors as the face of the drawers.

My parents want to be able to give them away as gifts to us kids and the grandkids, so individual creations are best in the long run.

Aren't they fantastic? And so is getting the creative juices flowing!

2 comments:

  1. I am at a loss for words.
    Those doors are TOO cool.
    Where did he get them?!
    I think all your ideas sound great.
    My mind is abuzz with ideas.
    Let me try to focus and I'll send some your way but yours all sound like winners!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is unbelievable cool Becca!!! I'm seriously jealous.

    ReplyDelete