May 10, 2010

Addendum to 1607

I wanted to add a few things to my post about Virginia:

1) Virginia was named for the "Virgin" Queen Elizabeth. Hence why I find the slogan "Virginia is for lovers" humorous.

2) Where the presidents were born is how I'm placing them into categories by State where they hailed from. This is why even though Bush, the Father, and Bush, the Son, are so closely associated with Texas, they don't hail from here. Bush the First was born in Massachusetts and Bush the Second was born in Connecticut.

3) I had originally said that Mel Gibson played Patrick Henry in The Patriot. Not so. I took that out. His character was based on Francis Marion, or the “Swamp Fox”, a protagonist for you to cheer behind as he went about killing the redcoats.

4) By 1610, more than half the original settlers to Jamestown had perished when John Rolfe showed up. I’m currently watching a series called “America: The Story of Us.” Completely captivating, utterly fascinating, and I’ve only just finished the Revolution and Declaration of Independence from Britain.

Gotta keep my mind sharp, you see? Can’t have it go all mush on me like it did back in high school between the end of the school year and the beginning of hell week complete with two-a-days (for band nerds, yes, we called it that, too).

No comments:

Post a Comment