June 22, 2011

This is why I'm meant for another era

The article title read "Top 7 Mistakes Girls Make With Guys". I'm intrigued, of course, so I click through.

Scanning through, I agree with #1-#5: Let the guy call, don't talk about the relationship all the time, don't ask about past girlfriends, stop the babble, and don't cry when he leaves at the end of the night [they don't like that]. But then I got to #6.

6. This is an oldie, but a goodie

Don’t be so available. If you have been out a few times, the next time he asks, say you have plans. He’s not going to give up asking you out because you have a life. Furthermore, if he says he is going out with the boys tell him how cute you think it is, and that you hope they tear it up and have a wild time. You will score points with this, and he’ll be thinking about you while he’s out. I guess you could say you’re putting a little reverse psychology at work here, but this is almost always a fail proof tactic.

Oh, this bugs me. We should not have to do this. Why must we pretend to not be available? I have a real issue with this "game playing". But, as I've been informed, I'm what's been referred to as a "tide-fighter". As in, I try to fight what is absolutely inevitable and what millions of other people do all the time with no second thought. Or no second thought that makes them want to take action against it.

Well, I fight things like this. And this would be why I'm not cut out for Corporate America. Why I'm so unhappy so much of the time and why my mouth gets me into sticky situations.

Barring the work environment, the relationship and "game-playing" between men and women is just absurd these days. I respect modesty, most of society doesn't. I appreciate chivalry, most guys don't know what that means (or at least what it entirely means). No, it isn't chivalrous to hand me a towel and think that covers your quota for the week.

I'm meant for a different era. An era where men became men because of their life situations and societal expectations placed upon them. The definition of what makes a man has drastically altered with our generation, though. Our generation grew up with video games simulating real-life and pretend [this had to have an affect on guys]. We grew up with women pressing against the glass ceiling and seeing it raise higher than ever [though it is still there]. Women are more masculine and subsequently because of this, men have become more effiminate [think about it before you get upset thinking I just called guys of our generation girly!]. There is a sense of laziness when it comes to the timeline of life that was never there before.
 
I realize I haven't met every guy of our generation. I realize my expectations are...well, existent, which in and of itself is a problem. With no expectations, I'll never be surprised by idiocy and always will be by kindness.
 
I know this sounds bitter, but I swear it isn't! It's more just an observation that I like to discuss with whomever finds this topic [how our generation is changing societal norms and expectations] interesting and worthy of a conversation. Anyone game?
 
I should go back to school so I can have philisophical debates as part of my curriculum and get a grade for it. Haha. Which prompts another irritation I have: the current state of the higher education system. But that's for another blogate [blog + debate].
 
Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. Ok, I totally agree with you! I'm totally anti- rules and anti-games.....

    I'm with you...100%

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto to Kim.

    Stick to your gut instinct, lady. Forget the lame "to-do's".

    ReplyDelete