May 6, 2011

Happy birthday, CrazyFoot!

It has been one year to the day that I got myself a new foot! About this time a year ago I was completely zonked out and the surgeons were busy as I lay bundled in blankets in the cold operating room.

I awoke at 10:45AM groggy and with a gigantic wrapping on my foot. No cast. I was wheeled to my parent's car who were hovering around me and they helped me into the car. I got home and immediately lay down to sleep for the next five days.

A friend called me during this layabout and I later asked her to tell me, "What did we talk about?" and she laughed. Apparently I had been very coherent and had made lots of sense...and she was serious! I said, "Well, that's good!"

I got sick to my stomach and sick to my head from laying about all the time and so finally roused myself and moved into the living room during the daytime hours.

6 days after I had my surgery I went to the kitchen to get a glass of milk and instead of putting my boot on to do this, I went barefoot, lost my balance and landed on my foot. My poor father received a phone call two minutes later with me in hysterics and he came home only to find me completely relaxed and fine, having set up an appointment that afternoon for x-rays. I realized after how truly lucky I was that no damage was done and that my dad was able to come to my rescue...that I didn't need, haha. Imagine surgery again!

There were pillows everywhere for propping my foot up. The couch was my haven and safe place and I only really left for bathroom breaks and when my mom came home to heat my lunch up. When you're on crutches (and completely shoddy at using them) you can't really carry things. Helps to have confidence that you can put weight on your foot!

Learning to walk again, as pitiful as that sounds, was scary. Even in the boot, where my foot was incredibly protected, I was so scared to walk. I still remember my first steps. Like a baby, so funny. First it was walking with crutches, then it was learning to walk without them and hefting a gigantic boot around. Near the 7 week mark, I was given a new walking shoe and let me tell you...it was stylish. If I was 85. Which, I guess I am sometimes...anyways. This new shoe would allow me to drive and walk a little easier.

Ah, driving. I love to drive. And not driving for nearly two months was hard. The lost independence, the lack of freedom. Challenging.  Just like with the walking, I was very hesitant to begin driving, but after those first few taps of the brake pedal, I gained confidence and was soon cruising around town. As in, taking the two lane back road free of traffic to get to the library and back home. Haha.

9 weeks passed slowly and quickly and before I knew it I was headed back to work. I don't know how many people noticed, but I wore sneakers every day I was there, haha. It wasn't until the start of my new job that I put my work shoes back on.

It was a humbling experience. It was frustrating and a challenge and it was eye-opening. I am very, very, very glad I did it and the scars are kinda cool, so really, it's a win-win situation. :-)

Happy birthday, Wolverine! I'm so glad you don't set off the metal detector at the airport!

No comments:

Post a Comment