June 16, 2010

Neutrality

I was watching an episode of The Tudors the other day and the Pope, played by Peter O'Toole, was shown walking through the chambers of the Vatican and the multi-colored garbed guards caught my attention.

I've seen them before, being Catholic and all, and have wondered before who they were.

I knew there was something unique about them and that they weren't Italian, but other than that I was drawing a blank. Here comes Wiki!

I would think they would cross themselves...but they salute the Pope?

The Swiss Guard, as they are known, are the only ones still in existence. They formally began protecting the Pope on January 22, 1506. Great day. The Swiss Guards had been a part of the Vatican protectorate since the late 1400's as mercenaries. Yeah, so neutral.

The Vatican and Switzerland maintained a connection as other groups were disbanded both in Switzerland and in the Vatican. The only ones left standing are there today, more ceremonial than anything. Kinda like the changing of the guards guys in London. Pomp and circumstance.

But early on they did perform their duties admirably, helping Pope Clement VII to escape the sacking of Rome for one.

The requirements to join the ranks of the guards are that he must be a single man, Catholic (shocker), and must have completed basic training in the Swiss military. Once they are accepted, which is no easy feat and a great honor, they are sworn in on May 6 each year, the anniversary of the Sacking of Rome.

The uniform is distinctly Renaissance in appearance and the colors represent two Pope's family colors, Pope Julius II (blue and yellow) and Pope Leo X (red).

While they were considered more ceremonial over the passing years, after the assassination attempt on Pope John Paul II in 1981, training was stepped up and the guard was more formally recognized as a protectorate again, necessary to guard the Pope from harm.

There are loads of other little details and rumors, such as the possibility of becoming a guard is passed down from Father to Son and reminds me of A&M in this regard. Familial connections. I don't know if it's true or not, but there's just no telling.

On the note of The Tudors, I would highly recommend viewing it if you enjoy period pieces. The costumes are spectacular, the music is fun (I like RenFest, no shame), and of course the story is one that even us kids in America through our minimal European history lessons in class know all about. Henry VIII, six wives, two beheading's (though I always thought all his wives were beheaded), several affairs and intrigue, him taking over the Church, excommunication...on, and on, and on. Really fascinating stuff.

Unless you don't have the stomach for lots of sex scenes. Because there are quite a few. And if that's what gets you interested...then more power to you, I suppose.

1 comment:

  1. Jonathan Rhys Meyer in tons of sex scenes? Count me in.

    Um, I seem to be your lust-filled friend. That's kind of embarrassing.

    On a completely different note, I wonder what the numbers of the current day guards are. Do they have a hard time recruiting? Very interesting stuff.

    ReplyDelete