Big mistake.
Go wiki it. It's a novel. And very convoluted.
Successions were broken with assassinations, bastard children, wars, treaties and mistresses. The monarchy changed hands scads of times. An English king lorded over Scotland and Ireland, sometimes France. There were marriages among cousins to preserve the line, the loss of the sanctity of marriage and a King so beleaguered with the requirements of the Catholic faith that he declared himself head of a new church.
An entirely new denomination. He was more than a bit crazy, methinks. Granted, I think he was 2nd cousins with his mother. Excuses, excuses, I know.
Still, it's fascinating to see the chain of succession, where it broke, who broke it and how, the bastard children recognized and ignored, and grandchildren usurping their elders.
Irrelevant of all of this, they have a pretty sweet accent. It's all curves and bends, smooth and lyrical. Nothing harsh about it. We sound much more like our Germanic ancestors with our American accents, all strict lines and right angles. Blurg.
I've yet to watch the Tudors but after reading your entry- I'm going to have to netflix it come August!
ReplyDelete