February 28, 2012

Top Ten: Home Alone

The (current) top 10 things I've learned about living on my own:

1) You have to get your own cold compress for the blazing headache that wakes you at 2:30AM.

2) The dishes will never wash, rinse, dry or load themselves. Ever.

3) It's impossible to wake up to the smell of fresh, sizzling bacon and mouth-watering pancakes on a Sunday morning. Read: heartbreaking.

4) No package walks itself into your abode so, when something important comes, make sure to live close enough that you can jet home and back to work in enough time to not rouse suspicion.

5) Things will go bump in the night and you will have to determine whether you'd rather die in bed or be a fighter. I've currently done both, the latter of which was with a flashlight. I. Was. Ready!

6) The freezer will go through rounds of being overly full to completely depleted with the makings of chili, casserole, meatloaf or other easily freezable items.

7) I only make dinner once a month because of #6.

8) Mary Poppins' snapping fingers would be welcomed readily into my house. Nothing ever gets cleaned by the elves anymore. The elves being my mother, of course.

9) Neither the pantry nor the refrigerator will ever refill themselves with the staples you so desperately need at that very moment.

10) I'm glad I go to work early because otherwise when I go to bed before 9PM due to boredom and subsequently wake up at 5AM I wouldn't know what to do with myself for those several hours before I could leave.

6 comments:

  1. Living alone is hard. The key is to pay close attention to any signs any neighbors might be leaving you... open curtains when they're usually closed, etc. ;c)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The car alarm still goes beep at 6:30AM on the dot, everyday. I need only be outside at that time to rendezvous...

      Delete
  2. hahaha, I love this....I could post a "10 things to know when living with a boy" that would totally freak you out ;)
    I love your new place and I think that anyone attempting to scare you (see #5) should run scared.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm curious the difference between living with a brother and living with a husband RE: bathroom and house cleanliness. The mama was so good at keeping things clean and tidy without our knowledge...the husband will not come with that vital part. Hmm...

      Delete
  3. But decorating your own place is the best! Antique telephones, galore! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. D, you know me all too well! I can't wait for my future home of many, many rooms so that all SEVEN of my ridiculously awesome 70's phones can be on full display.

    Ok, Lotto/Bingo, let's do this thing.

    ReplyDelete