October 30, 2010

Help, again!

Partway into a conversation with a compatriot at Starbucks, I glance up to see someone through the glass outside walking, as expected, to get in line behind me.

I know them.

And I don't like them much.

Do I say, "Hi!"? Do I wave and turn back?

The line is empty behind me, until it fills with their bodily presence.

"Well, hello, you! How are you?"
"I'm great, how are you? How's the new job?"
"Oh, it is fantastic. How's work going for you?"
"Same old, same old, haha." Polite laughter...and awkward silence. Do I say something more? Should I say, "It was great to run into you!" and turn back to my original companion?

Usually, that's what you should do. But I feel this ridiculous obligation to maintain a connection, however anemic it may be, and it rapidly deteriorates to quick glances away by the one I don't like and me standing there with a plastered grin upon my face.

I need to learn it isn't rude to forgo conversation past the initial courtesies awarded in any situation because it's a mutual dislike, truly. They want the conversation as little as I do.

I'll eventually learn to just wave, or stave off after pleasantries. Eventually.

1 comment:

  1. You're a good person for not pretending you didn't see them, or being rude. At least you put on a smile.
    It's really just an awkward situation that you have to fumble through.
    I know the feeling!

    ReplyDelete