July 25, 2010

Quick

Since I don't consider this a sport nor do I enjoy watching it, I will spend little time on it.

NASCAR.

Bloomberg News

"I wanna be a race car passenger - just a guy who bugs the driver. 'Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide.'" ~ Mitch Hedberg

Did you know where it all started? Bootlegging.

Yeah, running moonshine from the mountains. Men would use small, fast vehicles, re-engineered by themselves, to better evade the police.

It took about a decade after Prohibition for all the moonshine lovers to realize they could just race their cars for funzies since they were already superb in comparison to others on the road.

Thus, a culture's pastime was born.

Interesting about NASCAR is that it is still a family owned and operated business which translates to one of the richest families this side of the Mason-Dixon line. It's international, with headquarters located in Daytona Beach, Florida, and has been in operation since 1947.

I guess I will lend a bit more credit to their racing now since it's tied to such an interesting part of our history: Prohibition. Which in and of itself is pretty fascinating.

But I digress. I wash my hands of this non-sport that claims the South.

They drive in a circle. Honestly, people...a circle.

1 comment: