December 30, 2013

Because it's old

There are certain people in this world that love the smell of closets (hey Carriecake!). That strange, somewhat musty and stagnant smell of which there is no known source. Is it the paint? Is it the detergent? Is it just bad luck?

Well, to combat that, I decided to look into making my own sachet of good smell'ums. The "recipe" I found was simple, straightforward and quickly noticeable.

I grabbed some patches of fabric sitting around that I picked up for a few dollars at JoAnn's many moons ago, some bonding tape from Michael's (< $3!), my iron and ironing board, brown rice and lemon essential oil.

The patterns just added to the fun.

Inexpensive and very handy!

Finally found a use for the rice besides my belly!

Good old Sunbeam.
I laid out the swatches and pulled off tape to align each edge and create a hem. I laid the second piece over and ironed 3 of the sides to fuse the pieces together.

The "recipe":
1/2 c rice
10-15 drops essential oil

I mixed up a batch per sachet and used a funnel to dump the rice in. Once I finished that I sealed off the fabric with one more strip of bonding tape and a quick iron.

Ta-da!
Now my closet smells so fresh and so cleanclean. As for when the good smell'um goes soft, I will decide the best course of action; Do I throw it away? Rip the hem and re-fill with fresh rice? Pour essential oil over the top of the sachet?

Decisions, decisions...hopefully not to be made for at least a year. Right? :-/

1 comment:

  1. Well done ma'am! It nearly inspires me to get off the couch and do it myself. Almost. :)

    ReplyDelete