I've been on a kick for quite a while now to alter what I put on and in my body. Unfortunately, for the latter half of that statement, this still includes cake, brownies and ice cream. They're so tasty!
But as far as ON my body goes, here's what I've taken upon myself to tackle recently:
Face moisturizer
Laundry detergent (clothes go on my body!)
Deodorant
Today let's chat about my successful...face!
Face Moisturizer Ingredients/Recipe (approx. 1oz.):
1) 1.oz container
2) My base oil (2/3): Grapeseed oil
3) My bonus oil (1/3): Tamanu oil
4) My essential oil (8 drops): Peppermint oil
Cost breakdown:
Container = $1 at the grocery store
Grapeseed oil = $7 at the Greek Festival
Tamanu Oil = $20
Peppermint Oil = $8.25
$36.25 vs. one bottle of moisturizer, same fl. oz. = ~$35
Do I like it? Yes. Do I prefer it to store-bought? Yes (most days)!
My reasons: natural ingredients, I love the feeling of the peppermint as it cools my skin, I feel like it cleared a bit of my rosacea up, price
My dislikes: it smells odd (it's oil, duh), it goes on oily to the point you're concerned it won't absorb but it does after a bit, there's no SPF in it.
My improvements for next time:
1) Use a better container the first time around. I used an old night cream screw top container at first and it made for grabbing a good amount of moisturizer quite difficult. I transferred this to a click top container and I've vastly preferred using that. However, it doesn't travel well. Still gotta figure that one out...
2) Use more peppermint: 10 drops vs 8. I think I'd appreciate a little more tingle.
WINNER: au naturel...how, you ask? Because the amount of oil I used in
this container leaves me with the ability to make 3-4 more batches. Cost breakdown per bottle if I
make 4: ~$9/bottle which lasts several months.
I will definitely maintain this little gem and will eventually figure out the traveling bit...
Stay tuned for more DiY'ing!

Get it giiiirl! :). So inspiring!
ReplyDelete