May 9, 2013

Been DYEing to try this

Having started my career as a cog in the wheel of Corporate America, my wardrobe has forever since maintained a large number of black clothes.

It's what you do. Be sharp, be crisp, be slick. All that adds up to WEAR BLACK and a LOT OF IT.

Fast forward 5 years (has it really been that long already?) and my blacks are no longer sharp, they are dull. They aren't crisp, they're a little humdrum and sad.

Thanks to a good friend, I learned that you can revitalize your blacks in a very inexpensive way: DYE.

$2 and you get your nearly brand new shirt back. It looks alive and vibrant and when you wear it to work, people think you just went shopping. Talk about money savings! Plus, if you just looooove that one pair of pants that's been with you since day one and maybe it's time to get rid of them but you just can't make yourself...DYE them. :-D Gives them a bit more life.

The process is a bit time consuming (45 minutes in the water) and it can't be left alone (because I did it in a plastic tub, I was the agitator) but ultimately completely worth it, especially on a gorgeous day outside with a great book.

Be sure to measure correctly! It took 12 of these or 48 cups = 24 pints = 3 gallons


All that water for half this bottle based on approximately 1lb of dry clothes

Dry clothes no more! Put them into the hot water sopping wet, then stirstirstir!

And wait...and stir...and wait...and stir for 45 minutes.

Voila! Finite. In all, I considered this worth my time. For the little bit of hassle, I gave some of my favorites clothes new life and look forward to many more washes and wears before having to do this once again.

Next up, pants and a dress!

1 comment:

  1. Ohhhhh! I had never considered this. Fab idea! I'll see the finished product in real life in about 3ish weeks. :)

    ReplyDelete