July 23, 2012

Bingo, not just for your Grams anymore

5 bottles of wine to 6 bodies of women. Almost but not quite equal...
Let me begin this post by freely admitting that I associate myself with the "hipster" crowd that has emerged over the last few years. I listen to the music, I shop vintage, I wear cross-body purses.

Though I still refuse to wear boots, hats, and scarves when the temperature gauge tells me not to be a fool.

Now that I've prepped you...BINGO!

Every Thursday at Lodge 88 located at 1435 Beall St. old ladies, children, teenagers and yuppies alike all gather to enjoy the droll yet invigorating game of Bingo. You remember Bingo, right? An older white haired caller will mumble numbers into a microphone for a period of hours during which everyone playing is furiously stamping their cards to keep pace!

And it's awesome. You giggle at O69. You boo at the winners, then clap as they accept their prize.

You buy cheap food and beer and enjoy a very cheap game with great friends and even better conversation. I've made paper airplanes and totally scored like 50 points playing trash can basketball. I've bonded with my neighbors and chowed down on freshly delivered pizza. It honestly feels so wholesome and clean it's hard not to have an even better time.

No wonder the girls were late, they had to buy all the crackers and cheese that could be found at Spec's.

Game cards cost $5. A stamp that will last you a lifetime costs $1. You sit for 4 hours and people watch, and gab and chat and eat and drink and then you go home. It supports a local organization and it's simple fun. Old school, fun. There's no electronic scoreboard, it's a Light Bright board of rows and numbers.



Workin' it. Here are the girls from work: Lallipop, the Russian, myself and Lauuuuura
 Needless to say, I've been many times and intend to go many, many more. Please join!

Ginger Jess joined the fun!

AP-Jess is one of the best. She took over for Marina when she quit. The Russian gave up! <--Not surprised.


4 comments:

  1. Still so sad I missed this! August, August, August.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the pics and more importantly your pretty outfit :) I can't wait until I can have my own bottle of wine!

    ReplyDelete