November 27, 2010

Who knew?

Who knew it had been so long since I last posted? I spent the few days after learning about Veteran's Day to prepare for my sister-in-law's baby shower, and it was a mighty success!

But a mighty undertaking. Baby G is ready for the world, at least when it comes to clothes and furniture and swings and blankets. I'm ready, too!

Post shower, I was kept busy at work with an assortment of administrative jobs to better prepare ourselves for next year's busy season. Of course, being the nerd I am, I loved it. Making lists, scratching things off, verifying that X compares properly to Y which links back to Z. I geeked out daily.

Then there was the work potluck lunch for our entire floor. I had never heard of such a thing when I was at my previous job. And it was glorious. Very nice spread of food and a great selection of desserts, plus some entertaining time spent with co-workers.

After that, I spent a day taking photos of my brother and his wife + belly and it ended up being so much fun! I was the quintessential photographer: skinny jeans, old Converse, Gandalf t-shirt, wavy hair and Aviator's. Watch out, world! We had a blast and the photographer voice just came spilling out of me. "Don't move! Hold it! Look at each other! Stop fake smiling, Yanni!", etc, etc. It came so naturally and it was hilarious. But the pictures turned out great (some of them, anyways) and I look forward to doing that again! Any takers? I like to practice!

Since one potluck just wasn't enough, to celebrate a friend's birthday she hosted a potluck lunch at her adorable house (with new wood floors, may I add) in Kingwood. I attempted, for the first time, to make a Broccoli Cheese Casserole. Eh, it was alright. I used wild rice, which I apparently am not a fan of, so I told myself to try again in the near future. The potluck was fun and active and we all watched the Texans pry defeat from the jaws of victory. Go Texans?

That weekend, Harry Potter had come out and I was excited to see it...though not with 10,000 other people. So I waited...and my opportunity presented itself Tuesday of this past week when I dragged a semi-reluctant friend with me.  The movie was alright. It moved at the pace of the book and I remembered how bored I had gotten reading it. Good job, movie, for being so much like the book, haha. An accomplishment not many can boast.

I figured with Thanksgiving two days away, my calendar would clear up. Not so, said the universe.

I went to a painting class on Wednesday night and it was truly fun. There were four new people in our group and they each enjoyed themselves. My painting turned out alright, as well. It definitely makes a difference when you drink wine vs. drinking coffee. Ha!


Hello, Thanksgiving! Where did you come from? I swear it was just Halloween...

I made my second attempt at a Broccoli Cheese casserole and this time met with much greater success. Stick to the Minute rice variety, it makes for a much tastier dish. The family came over and we enjoyed a very delicious spread of food. Minus my sister getting stung by a wasp two minutes into the meal, we had a great day. Seriously, what are the odds of that happening?

But today marks the second official day of the Christmas season and I am so excited! I hit a few Black Friday deals yesterday and knocked a few family members off the list. I always say each year that I'll start shopping earlier, but does it happen? Nope. It doesn't.

Maybe next year...

No comments:

Post a Comment